Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Gran Fondo- Moab, UT

 When Jorden found out about the Gran Fondo in Moab, UT (a 60 mile mountain climb on a road bike) he knew he had to do it! And he didn't waste any time recruiting everyone he could to go through the misery with him! He had heard it was a hard race but I don't think he had any idea how hard it really was. With Jorden's new job and the trainings that are out of state, he didn't quite get in the training that he had wanted to. Nevertheless he did amazing! I'll get to that in just in minute!
We left for Utah on Thurday, stayed in Spanish Fork and left early Friday morning for Moab. All that driving and waking up early really wore Krew out! On Friday we ate lunch at a REALLY good deli in Moab and Krew couldn't even stay awake long enough to get his meal. He was beat!



The race started at 8am Saturday morning. Jorden was a little bit nervous but I think I had him beat! Or maybe I just showed it more!


Mentally preparing for what's to come.



All these riders are from Idaho! 
(It was really bright! Sorry for the glare!)


Krew giving his dad a good luck high-five!


At the starting line. Jorden and the group are in the very back. There were over 400 riders. Double the amount of riders last year. A lot of people didn't make it all the way and had to be picked up by the Aid Cars. I would have been one of those! Props to those who even attempted!


And he's off! (Jorden in the red, white, and black)

While we waited for the guys to finish, we went to the park at the finish line.
Krew liked the ducks, swans, and geese. But only from a distance and the protection of the fence and Grandma!


 Krew supporting his Dad and Grandpa with his "pedal dang it" shirt! It was a miracle I got this quick picture. He was not happy to stop playing with his new best friends, the Leavitts, whose Dad was also riding.

So during the race, at about 2 miles in, Jorden's bike broke. His crank (from his pedals) just fell off! He had to wait on the side of the road for an Aid Car to fix his bike. He waited 40 minutes. Which caused him to go from second group to the front to dead last! (I would have quit at this point!) After his bike got fixed he was off. It didn't take him long to catch the back of the pack. I am so proud of him for finishing and not even last! I think he was in the last group of about 20. But that's with a 40 minute delay!

Here he is crossing the finish line!


He looked like he could ride it again! He probably didn't feel that way, but he looked it!


Krew admiring his Dad for what he accomplished. 
This yellow lab became our best friend and followed us around the whole day. I hope he found his home!


  Krew getting a back ride from Will.
They had a raffle at the end of the race. Jorden didn't win anything but Brad won some new biking gloves. Too bad they were women's!



That night the boys got into the hot tub. Krew loved every minute of it, even if he did slip under the water a few times! Crew, Krew, and Will.


Too bad Henry missed out on the fun.

Falling asleep on his Mom was much better!


Even Harvey came to enjoy the festivities! 

 The next morning, the girls wanted to see if the route was as bad as they made it sound. We got in the car and drove the 60 miles. My oh my was it bad! I'm really not sure how Lance Armstrong could have finished that ride!! It was so steep, for so long!
This is at the top of the summit. They rode from the very bottom of that canyon. It even went up more from the point I took this picture! Jorden's friend Drew described the race like having a baby. During and right after you swear you'll never do it again! But as time goes on your memory fades and you think, "I kinda want to do that again!" So we'll see if there is a next year for the Gran Fondo! 

3 comments:

  1. Way to go, Jorden! I'd say it looks like a fun day, but that would be lying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAY TO GO JORDEN!! That is an awesome accomplishment! I'm with you Jessica, I would have quit right then :)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I finally assembled my road bike (which has been sitting in a box in my basement for over a year), but I still haven't taken it out for a spin...I'm a little bit nervous the handlebars will fall off as I'm crossing the street or something ;)

    ReplyDelete