I'm not sure why I'm posting about this but I thought I'd share some of my work experiences lately. I started working at Presidential Living a year ago next month. Let's just say working in an assisted living is a less than glamorous job. I'll be honest, the only reason I decided to get a job at one is because I needed CNA hours for the program I'm applying to. But with the bad comes some good. I try to forget the bad, like a couple of months ago when our only male resident almost bit my finger off. I still have the mark on my fingernail to prove it. Or when I got punched in the stomach (VERY HARD) by a 274 lb woman when I asked if she wanted juice or milk. Then later that night she fell out of bed & I'm the only one on shift. I had to find it in my heart (& my muscles) to lift her back into bed. And I did, all by myself. But I couldn't use my back for a week. (we don't have any machine lifts where I work) Then I can't forget when my boss texts me, "1 dollar raise. Long over due. sorry" then to only find out he sent the text to the wrong person. He felt bad so he gave me a 15 cent raise. I guess I wasn't as appreciated as I thought I was! But then there are those moments that remind me why I partially like my job. A woman I care for, cross-stitched a picture when she was in her twenties. She has been holding on to this picture for nearly 75 years, "waiting to give it to the right person". She gave it to me last week, even when I tried to decline her thoughtful gift. Even her daughter insisted I have it. Then there is another resident who gave me 2 rocks. When she was younger she was hiking and found them. She had her son polish them and now they are soft and shiny. She has been holding onto them for almost 30 years. Then we got a new resident last month. I saw her knitting and I asked if she could show me, and she did. When I walked into her room yesterday she was crying. When I asked what was wrong she said, "I forgot how to knit" So I showed her what she taught me a week ago, and she was sooooo grateful! You might think to yourself, "Wow rocks, knitting, and an outdated 75 year old picture, sounds real special." But they hold a special place in my heart. So if you ask me about my job I'll tell you, some days I don't love my job. But I am attached to a lot of the residents, and I am having unforgettable experiences. But I'm also glad I'm only part time!! :)
Monticello
Mt. Vernon
Being a nurse is so rewarding... Jessica you are going to be amazing! When I was a CNA... I quit and changed my major to early education, now I am so glad I changed me focus and went back to nursing. Hang in there!!! {in the eternal perspective... it's only a minute!}
ReplyDeleteYou know, it all DOES sound real special to me. What a wonderful chance to feel like you are making a difference in someone's life. It doesn't really get any better than that. (Well, I guess the $1 raise would be better!)
ReplyDeleteJessica, that knitting story is my favorite story ever! Your work is lucky to have you; they can't pay you enough for the good you do.
ReplyDeleteOh so sweet! I got a kick out of some of your bad days too...you can laugh after the fact right!?!?!?
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing these experiences. I was very touched.
ReplyDeleteJessica I love you! You are so awesome and you are my hero! I think you do such a awesome job being a Mom, wife, school and working on top of that! You are the best and I loved reading about your job!
ReplyDelete