My Sweet Grandma Jones past away on Wednesday, June 12, 2013. I was fortunate enough to make it up to Billings for her funeral. I am so grateful all my siblings and I were able to be there to honor her life. Jorden stayed back in Utah to work and I took the kids. Luckily, we were able to fly. 1 1/2 hours on the plane compared to a 10 hour drive, made the decision pretty easy. Alone with two kids in the car for 10 hours would have been rough!
We flew out on Saturday afternoon. Several weeks ago I had signed up for a 5k for Saturday morning. Obviously not knowing what the week would be like. Saturday was definitely a long day! But having already paid I decided not to miss out.
The run started very chilly! I also learned that if I plan to run, and not walk or jog, I need to start in the front of the pack. I learned the hard way and had squeeze my way through people, even walking for parts of it in the beginning.
I had an awesome cheer team! I got a text right at take off to, "Run fast because we're cold!". It was definitely motivation to run fast and get my cold kids back in the warm car!
Finally, there I come! Krew brought a cow bell, so I definitely didn't miss them!
The course was a little more difficult, with two big hills. But I survived.
I think my official time was 25.06. I was 2nd in my age division-out of 73 runners, and 19th out of all the women-370 runners.
Thanks for cheering me on!
After the race we hurried home to finish packing. Then it was off to the airport! It was both Krew and Myla's first time flying. They both, thank goodness, did very well!
It helped that I ran into these two at SLC airport
My Great Aunt Grace and Great Uncle Bill, who coincidentally sat right next to us on the plane. We also arranged some seats so my wonderful, helpful sister Megan could sit behind us.
Myla started crying as we were descending into Billings. I'm sure it was not the fact that we were landing in Billings. I mean how could you cry landing here?!
I truly believe the sky is bigger here!
My Grandpa Jones. Isn't he so handsome?!
I'll admit, it was difficult to see him without my Grandma. Whenever I think of my Grandpa I automatically think of my Grandma. He is the perfect example of selfless love and service. I've always wanted my marriage to emulate theirs.
On Saturday evening we headed over to the church for a family gathering and dinner. It was great to catch up with everyone. It was a perfect spot to meet, where the kids could run off all their energy.
Sure miss these two people! I wish I lived closer than a 10-hour drive!
On Sunday we had a viewing for my Grandma. I guess I really know how to wear my kids out because before we left for the viewing, Myla fell asleep on Aunt Megan like this:
Then stayed asleep in the car ride over. Krew also decided it was a good time for a nap.
A close up of the two.
When we got to the funeral home Myla fell asleep on Kelsey. Kelsey has quite the baby touch. Myla is pretty picky to who she goes to, but would always allow Kelsey to hold her and would often smile at her when she walked into the room. We also need to live closer to these guys!
A few sweet pictures of my Grandma and Grandpa that were up at the viewing.
My younger Grandparents:
And a few years down the road:
This is one of my favorite pictures that my Grandma painted. It is what she believed Sacagawea looked like. I'd like to believe she is spot-on.
This painting below is also one of my favorites. It is a picture of me as a little girl, holding my cousin's cat. I remember it hung in the cabin, on the stairway up to the "Scary Attic". I was always so proud that my Grandma had painted a picture of me. When she gave it to me as a wedding gift, I remember her crying and telling me it was one of her favorite paintings and the hardest painting to give up.
A wedding gift I will cherish forever.
My Grandpa framed all my Grandma's paintings. They are a perfect duo.
My Dad used one of his many talents and made the flower arrangement for Grandma's casket. It looked beautiful!
The funeral program:
The funeral was wonderful. My favorite part was when all the grandchildren stood up to share their memories of Grandma. I learned a lot about my Grandma and enjoyed laughing and crying together with each story that was shared.
My Grandpa with his siblings. His little sister Grace and older brother LaVar.
We each got to pick a rose from my Grandma's casket.
Megan with Brinlee
Ashley
Krew with his selected rose.
A cute picture of Kelsey and Scott
I love this picture of Megan, my Mom, and Amy. Their expressions say it all.
My Grandpa surrounded by all his children and their spouses, and two of his siblings.
After the burial we headed back over to the church for the luncheon.
My Dad, Mark, Konni, Cliff, Kent, with my Grandpa in front
The entire group. Except for Myla and me who were at the store buying diapers. Krew is in the front row, last one on the right.
My Dad's cousin Claudia and her husband Craig hit a deer on their way up to funeral. It did just a little bit of damage:
I'm so grateful they were both ok!
The night of the funeral we all headed over to Cliff and Diane's house for dinner.
Krew enjoying, "The goodest chips ever".
I love this picture of Krew with his Great Grandpa Jones.
I love this one too! I also love how Myla is eyeing Krew's cupcake.
Because this was the next picture taken.
Then there was a gasp from Krew and a big smile from Myla.
The next morning it was time to head home. But not before I got a cute picture of Ava and Brinlee enjoying some yogurt. I think they would be perfect for a Yoplait commercial with their little yogurt-plastered faces!
Waiting for our flight home.
Yep, Krew's diet was fantastic while we were away from home!
And surprise, surprise. I sat next to my Dad's cousin, Steve, on the way home. The son of who I sat next to on the flight there!
He was also a big help. Like when Krew suddenly needed to use the bathroom, he graciously took Myla for me.
My parents always get the funnest gifts for all the grand kids. I think they are so cool and popular with the kids because they aren't the "normal" kids gifts. This time it was headlamps. Krew was pretty much elated! You better believe he wore it on the flight home!
Krew was so excited to see Jorden pick us up at the airport. He literally ran across the airport, right into Jorden's arms. Just like you see on the movies. I wish I had captured it.
About the time we pulled out of the parking garage Krew looked like this. Myla was out as well!
It was a bitter-sweet trip for me. I'm glad I was able to honor such an amazing and talented woman, see my wonderful family that I miss so much, and have closure from attending the funeral. But I will miss my Grandma dearly. I think of her and my Grandpa often. I hope to be able to follow their example and hopefully make them proud.
I love you Grandma.






















What a lovely post, Jessica. I think we need to all gather again asap!
ReplyDeleteOh Jessica you have the sweetest little family! I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet grandma. I remember going to your grandparents cabin and going into all the cool rooms and seeing all of your grandma's paintings. The painting of you when you were little is soooo neat!! The story of her giving it to you on your wedding day is such a sweet memory I'm sure! It was fun to look at all of the pictures of you and your family. Everyone has grown up! Thanks for sharing your trip!
ReplyDeleteSo many things to love in this post. Your grandma must have been watching that gathering of all she held most dear with such love and gratitude. You are an amazing group of people.
ReplyDelete